"Dual credit” means the process by which a high school student enrolls in a college course and receives simultaneous academic credit for the course from both the college and high school.
Ponder ISD offers dual credit courses taught by North Central Texas College. Courses are limited to those applicable to high school requirements.
Students who would like to participate in dual credit courses at Ponder H.S. for 18/19 will need to:
1. Be a Junior for the 2020/21 school year (minimum 14 credits) OR Be a Senior who has taken and passed dual credit this 2019/20 school year.
2. Remain in good standing for freshmen and sophomore classes.
3. Attend the Spring Student and Parent meeting to prepare for the following school year.
4. Take the TSI to determine college readiness. This is a test given on campus at Ponder High during the school day.
5. Complete a dual credit agreement form with the high school counselor and obtain parent signatures.
6. Follow the procedures laid out by NCTC for applying and paying. (information above and at the Spring 2020 parent meeting)
PHS Juniors take:
ENGL 1301; Composition I -- Fall
HIST 1301; United States History I -- Fall
ENGL 1302; Composition II -- Spring
HIST 1302; United States History II -- Spring
PHS Seniors take:
ENGL 2322; British Literature I -- Fall
ECON 2301; Principles of Macroeconomics -- Fall
ENGL 2323; British Literature from 18th Century -- Spring
GOVT 2305; Federal Government -- Spring
**Any student who receives Special Education or 504 accommodations, who would like to pursue dual credit will need to contact:
Wayne Smith, MS, CRC, LPC, CBIST
Coordinator – Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD)
**See NCTC/Dual Credit -- Check List for enrolling in NCTC dual credit courses at Ponder High School under the NCTC Dual Credit Information Tab on Mrs. Ivy's page.