When your child is ill, please contact the school to let us know he or she will not be attending that day and why. It is important to remember that schools are required to exclude students with certain illnesses from school for periods of time as identified in state rules.
A full list of conditions for which the school must exclude children can be obtained from the school nurse.
If a student becomes ill during the school day, he or she must receive permission from the teacher before reporting to the school nurse. If the nurse determines that the child should go home, the nurse will contact the parent.
The district is also required to report certain contagious (communicable) diseases or illnesses to the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) or our local/regional health authority. The school nurse can provide information from TDSHS on these notifiable conditions.Do not send your children to school if they:
- Have had fever 100 degrees or greater within the last 24 hours (without fever-reducing medicine)
- Have experienced vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours (without medicine)
- Strep Throat (must have been taking an antibiotic for at least 24 hrs before returning to school)
- Have itchy, red eyes with crusty or discolored drainage present
- Have a sore throat, bad cough or very runny nose
- Have a rash of unknown origin, especially if drainage is present
- Have lice present in hair