As part of Health and Safety Code, Chapter 36, hearing, vision and Acanthosis screenings are required for children enrolled in any public, private, parochial, or denominational school. These screenings will be conducted during the school day beginning in early Fall.
Who will be screened:
- Pre-K (4 yrs old after September 1st)
- 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th graders
- Any other student that shows signs of hearing and/or vision problems
- First time entrants to a Texas school district
In compliance with Health and Safety Code, Chapter 37, all children shall undergo screening for abnormal spinal curvature in accordance with the following schedule:
- Girls will be screened two times, once at age 10 (5th grade) and again at age 12 (7th grade).
- Boys will be screened one time at age 13 or 14 (8th grade).
Spinal screenings will be conducted during the school day in late Fall. An information letter will be sent home prior to the start of spinal screenings.
If a child does not pass one or more of these screenings, a referral letter will be sent home. Please follow-through with the referral and have your child seen by a medical professional and return the referral back to the school.
More information: https://www.utrgv.edu/bho/trat2dc/index.htm
- At or below 60 dBA, sounds are generally considered safe
- 8 hrs at 85 dBA can damage your hearing
- 14 mins. at 100 dBA can damage your hearing
- 2 mins. at 110 dBA can damage your hearing